I believe winter finally returned this week! Although I am honestly not fond of cold weather, the students were sure excited to play in the snow! Please remember if there is any snow on the ground, students will need boots and snow pants during recess. Otherwise, they will be expected to stay on the sidewalks to play.
Also, thank you so much to the room mothers and treat senders for another wonderful classroom party for Valentine’s Day! The students had a terrific time! We are truly blessed to have such amazing and supportive parents!
Communication Arts: This week we completed week one of Theme 7: “Wheels Go Around.” We continued practicing blending and segmenting phonemes (individual sounds) to make words, and we reviewed and built sentences with our high-frequency words. In addition, we met a new alphafriend, Dudley Duck, for the letter Dd, and we reviewed the letters Ff, Kk, Pp, and Rr. We also reviewed summarizing and text organization in stories that we read. Furthermore, we talked about using opposites and worked on blending short i and short a words. Finally, we learned a new high-frequency word, for, and a new word family: the –ig family (dig, big, fig, etc.)
Math: This week we practiced paying for items to 25 and 50 cents using nickels. We also learned about dividing by sharing as well as identifying and creating ABC sound and movement patterns. In addition, we worked on identifying and ordering numbers and practiced handwriting numbers 1 – 20.
Nutrition: Mrs. Joni Halley from the University MO Extension office visited our classroom both last week and this week to teach the students about nutrition and healthy lifestyles. She also provided samples of healthy snacks for the students to try. I think they really enjoyed having her come and learned some things along the way!
Book Orders: New book orders are in your child’s folder. Please have these back to me by Thursday, February 23rd if you are interested in ordering any books. Our classroom activation code is HNK8H if you are interested in ordering online at www.scholastic.com/bookclubs.
**SPECIAL NOTE: All kindergarten teachers will be helping with kindergarten enrollment on Mar. 5th, 6th, and 9th. Therefore, we will have substitute teachers in our classrooms on those days. In addition, baggie books will not be sent home and there will not be a newsletter in their Friday folders that week.
• NO SCHOOL: Feb. 20th and 21st
• Next character ed. assembly: Friday, Feb. 24th at 8:30 a.m. in the elementary gym.
• Book fair is coming soon: February 27th – March 2nd in room #4. I will provide more details in next week’s newsletter.
* Preview day – Monday, February 27th.
* Family night from 5 – 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 1st
• February Book-It reading logs are due Wednesday, Feb. 29th.
• End of 3rd quarter: Friday, March 9th
• Next month’s early-out dismissals: March 7th, 14th, & 15th.
• Lifetouch spring pictures: Wednesday, March 14th
• Parent-teacher conferences are scheduled for Thursday, Mar. 15th. A letter regarding this will be sent home with your child at a later date.
• No school: March 16th (Teacher work day)
Have a great weekend!