Mr. Watt's Biology and Chemistry classes have been looking at a variety of scientific phenomena in the lab. Students are having fun putting what they have learned into practice, and the pictures and videos included here demonstrate just a few of the following lab procedures that they have conducted.
- sublimation of iodine (a solid skipping the liquid phase because of high vapor pressure and going straight into the gas phase)
- phase changes of various substances placed together in Petri dishes
- fractional distillation of ethanol from water (separating miscible liquids based upon their physical properties)
- chromatography of food coloring (separating components of colored mixtures using filter paper)
- observations of a candle burning
- simulations of mono- and dihybrid genetic crosses