Week 2 Speech with Ms. Wickert
This week I am going to give you a few activities that your students can do at home that will keep them busy and working on speech and language skills.
- Grab old magazines/newspapers and put together a collage of pictures that have their targeted sound. This is also an activity you can do to work on vocab-have a contest to see who can name objects the quickest.
- Watch a tv show and try to write down as many words that are said with the targeted sound- then practice correct productions after the show is over!
- Use Jenga and tape target words on the blocks and every time your student plays, they have to read that word and make 5 correct productions.
- Go outside and use sidewalk chalk to write down things you see outside with targeted sounds.
- The kids also enjoy go-fish! Make an equal amount of cards with words that target the sound your child is working on then play a quick game of go fish! This is also a quick way to target those sounds and have fun with your child!
The kids love playing tic-tac-toe, therefore, I make a tic-tac-toe board with words that target the sound the student is working on. I typically have the students say the word five times then they can put their 'X' or '0' on that word. This is a fun and simple game!
You can incorporate speech and language practice with almost anything you do! Just get your kids talking! I know this might not seem like much but any practice is better than no practice and it will keep your child's mind going! Let me know if you need more ideas.
Kellyn A. Wickert, M.A., CF-SLP
Putnam County R-1 Schools
803 S. 20th St.
Unionville, MO 63565
(660) 947-3361 ext. 333 (School)