Putnam County R-I
Elementary School Counselor
Mrs. Diane McClain
801 South 20th Street
Unionville, Missouri 63565
660-947-3361 ext. 329
Who is the school counselor?
Mrs. McClain and two 5th grade students at a Character Education Assembly.
Mrs. Diane McClain began working at the Putnam County R-I School District in 2002 as the School-Based Social Worker. Previously Mrs. McClain had been employed by the Department of Social Services in the field of social work for 10 years. While working as the school social worker Mrs. McClain received her Masters in School Counseling from Drake University. This will be the thirteenth year as the school counselor for Mrs. McClain. Mr. and Mrs. McClain reside in rural Putnam County. They have a grown son, Trenton McClain who lives in Moberly. Their daughter, Sydney is married to Daniel Beeler and they make their home in Downing, with their daughter, Baylin. In her spare time, Mrs. McClain likes to spend time with her family. One of her favorite mottos that she tries to live by is this; "They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."
Mrs. McClain with her children and husband.
What does the school counselor do?
* Classroom guidance instruction focusing on personal/social skills, academic achievement, and career exploration.
* Individual and group counseling.
* Character Education Program.
* Implementation of bullying programs and conflict resolution.
* School Test Coordinator.
* Consult with local agencies to assist families.
* Parenting Advisory Council Member.
* Help children cope with stress, crisis, trauma, divorce, death or serious illness.
Why do we need a school counselor?
* Children are growing up in an ever-changing world with an increasing number of influences. Preventive services can be very beneficial.
* Helping children become productive citizens, and feel a sense of self-worth and belonging.
* Assisting children to learn effective ways to deal with concerns, feelings and how to maintain healthy relationships.
* Parents, Teachers, Principal, and Students may refer to the counselor.
* Call, stop by or e-mail counselor to make a referral.
This is Mrs. McClain's granddaughter.